Hey Beautiful! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
Head lice can be one of the most irritating things on the planet. If you want to keep head lice issues at bay, however, you don’t have to feel at a loss at all. That’s because the assistance of the right head lice prevention spray recipe can go a long way. You don’t have to resign yourself to the thought of unpleasant itchiness and hair that feels anything but clean and fresh.
A Head Lice Prevention Spray Recipe
If you want to keep head lice at bay, then it may be a terrific idea to create a prevention spray on your own.
This DIY head lice recipe calls for the following:
- 1 empty spray bottle
- 3 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- 9 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 5 oz distilled water
Here’s what to do to put together this head lice prevention spray recipe:
- Get your hands on a spray bottle that’s totally empty inside.
- You need a single teaspoon of coconut oil and five ounces of distilled water.
- Put the water inside of the spray bottle.
- Introduce a single teaspoon of the carrier oil. Coconut oil can work here.
- Introduce all of the essential oils to the mix.
- Shake everything extremely thoroughly. Do so as a means of doing away with any clumpy bits that may be there due to the presence of oil.
- Shake the container exhaustively prior to spritzing it onto the hair.
- Spray a liberal amount of this natural formula onto the locks. This is all you have to do to safeguard your tresses from the unpleasant little insects.
If you want to master how to make your own lice prevention spray, all you have to do is follow these simple instructions to a tee.
Essential Oils for Lice Prevention
Are you searching for essential oils to repel lice? There are numerous essential oils that are capable of preventing the emergence of head lice. A number of essential oils work well for people who want to be able to stop head lice in their tracks.
Thyme, cinnamon leaf, geranium, rosemary, lavender and eucalyptus oils can all do a lot for people who don’t want to have to think about frustrating head lice development and all of its consequences.
You can also zero in on the following oils:
These essential oils have all been confirmed to be able to do away with lice cases.
Tea Tree Oil Head Lice Prevention Spray
The use of a tea tree oil lice prevention spray may work like a charm. If you want to battle the emergence of head lice using tea tree oil, this recipe may be a huge help to you.
Head lice aren’t fans of the noticeable scent of tea tree oil.
If you want to throw this lice prevention spray together at home, you need:
- a total of 30 drops of tea tree oil
- 20 drops of rosemary or marjoram essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of distilled water
- 1 tablespoon of witch hazel
- Thoroughly blend all of these components inside of a cobalt container that has a sprayer lid.
- Spray in the affected areas.
Olive Oil for Head Lice
Olive oil isn’t just a fantastic ingredient in your favorite Italian meals. Treating head lice with olive oil can be a good idea, too.
That’s because it can also be a wonderful and reliable head lice repellent.
Here’s what you do with olive oil for head lice:
- You can put a generous amount of olive oil onto your strands.
- Don’t forget about scalp application.
- Let the oil remain in of your hair for anywhere between six and eight hours in total.
- The head lice should slowly but surely suffocate inside of the oil.
- Put a lice comb in your tresses. You can use a paper towel to extract head lice that show up on the comb.
Clove Oil Uses for Hair
Clove oil can often help people who want to steer clear of head lice.
Here’s how you use clove oil to treat head lice:
- You can combine four drops of this essential oil with a shampoo of your choice. Introduce a couple clove oil drops to your shampoo.
- Cover your locks using this blend.
- Allow it to remain for between four and five minutes total.
- Get a nit comb. Comb your locks as the shampoo blend lingers. If you happen to spot any head lice, introduce a couple extra clove oil drops.
- You’re finally ready to exhaustively rinse your scalp and hair.
Peppermint Oil Lice Repellent
Does peppermint repel lice? The honest answer is yes, it does.
You may want to consider a peppermint oil lice repellent. Peppermint oil is like tea tree oil in that it’s a particularly popular head lice repellent. Some people opt to blend peppermint oil with hair conditioner for head lice prevention purposes. Others opt to mix the substance with olive oil, a carrier oil.
Coconut Oil for Lice
There are actually other oils out there that have the ability to repel head lice. Coconut oil is one such example.
This oil isn’t an essential oil at all. It’s a carrier oil that is capable of managing essential oil dilution.
Studies indicate that coconut oil may be suitable for lice treatment applications. Coconut oil includes a component that’s called lauric acid. This oil may have the ability to eradicate head lice.
Although this isn’t a head lice treatment that is as strong as many OTC counterparts are, there are still so many people who back it. That’s because they do not think that this oil is anywhere near as toxic.
Coconut oil may actually be preferable for individuals who simply cannot handle any treatments that are a lot more intense.
DoTERRA for Head Lice
DoTERRA is the name of a celebrated brand. It’s a brand that revolves around the use of essential oils of all different varieties.
If you’re looking everywhere for a DoTERRA essential oil that can assist you with any kind of lice issue, then you may want to zero in on their tea tree oil.
Some people decide to blend in DoTERRA shampoo and between five and eight drops of “Melaleuca.”
Head Lice FAQs
What can I spray in my hair to prevent lice?
Do you want to stop unpleasant head lice from taking over your poor head?
If you do, then there are spray options that can help you.
- You can create a spray using liquid coconut oil, tea tree oil, lemon oil and lavender oil. Make sure you have a fine-tooth comb, a brush and a spray bottle, too.
- Make sure the bottle is completely empty. Put about eight ounces of coconut oil inside of a spray bottle. Give the oil the chance to cool. Then, add five drops of the three kinds of essential oils you have. That means 15 drops in total. Don’t panic if you do not have lemon oil. If you don’t, you may want to consider swapping it out with either grapefruit or orange oil. Citrus replacements can work.
- Shake everything in a thorough and exhaustive manner. Your goal is to blend everything evenly here.
- Safeguard this spray in a location that’s both dry and cool.
- If you want this natural lice prevention spray to work out particularly well for you, then you can comb it into moist locks after showering in the evening. You can also spritz it onto dry locks first thing in the morning.
What can I use to prevent head lice?
They always say that prevention is better than cure. If you’re truly stressed out by the thought of head lice, you should learn all of your prevention choices as soon as possible. As you know by now, there are all sorts of natural and homemade lice prevention formulas that you can easily and rapidly make.
If you want to avoid having to make anything on your own, you can use an over-the-counter treatment that also happens to be a shampoo. You may be able to find shampoos that have pyrethrin working as their active ingredients.
Tips for Getting Rid of Lice
Here are some top tips for getting rid of head lice that work:
- Wash your hair with a tried and tested delousing shampoo
- Get rid of any and all nits using an anti-lice comb
- Clean carpeting, furniture, clothing, bedding and whatever else comes in contact with your hair and body
- Go for wet-combing for removal
- Try lice smothering using almond oil
- Make a homemade spray with favorites like eucalyptus oil, lavender oil and nutmeg oil (refer to recipe above)
- Put contaminated things in plastic bags for a total of two full weeks
Head Lice Prevention Spray Recipe: A Recap
Head lice infestations affect millions and millions of human beings everywhere each year.
They’re not just problems for young kids, either. That’s because they regularly affect adults.
If you want to stop head lice before they even get to upset you, then there are many natural treatments that can help. Explore all of your options in essential oils A.S.A.P.
Related: WILL A FLAT IRON KILL HEAD LICE